Sunday, February 5, 2012

I'm still alive...

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, life has been busy... I just finished coaching middle school girls futsal, which is basically small sided soccer. It was fun to coach a sport where I actually knew what was going on.... better than tennis. At the last game we played there was still some left over snow from a few days ago in Tokyo, so one of the girls made me a snowman, as thanks for a great season. The next sport I will be coaching will be track and field. There is no javelin, but I will be able to coach most of the field events. I've already had a lot of students express their excitement for track, so I am looking forward to a great season. 
Last weekend (Sunday) I decided I needed to get out of the city and walk with dirt under my feet. So I looked up a hiking spot in a book and went. It was a little cloudy and there ended up being a lot of snow on the mountain. But a nice old man befriended me and became my hiking guide about half way through the hike. He lives in Yokohama and has invited me to go hiking again. After the hike I took him out to lunch to thank him for his time. It's always great to find random people to talk with. 
After the hike I went to a cool castle in Odawara. There were a lot of really cool displays of swards, armor, and other old things. Overall it was a nice chance to get out of town for the day. I love that in Japan I can get on a train for an hour and be in a completely different part of Japan. I can go from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo to the solitude of a mountain top in a few hours. Next week I will be going up north to Hokkaido for about four days with a group of teachers from school. We have our Ski Break so I will be snowboarding and snowshoeing and getting more of my outdoor fix. 

1 comment: